The Department of Health, Physical Education, Recreation, Dance/Sport Management is a component of the College of Education. In harmony with the mission of the College, the Department’s purpose is to prepare professionals to serve the public in the areas of teaching, health and wellness, leisure and recreation, sport management, and allied fields.
This purpose is facilitated through teaching, research/technology-based activities, outreach-public service endeavors, practical experiences, and graduate school preparation strategies. These components are designed to prepare students to negotiate the demands of a global marketplace that require a sensitivity to members of diverse cultures and special populations.
General Department Objectives
The general objectives of the department are to:
- Provide students an opportunity to acquire a thorough knowledge of the principles of health science, physical education, leisure studies, dance, sport management, and allied professions.
- Prepare students to demonstrate competence in the teaching profession and to become exemplary practitioners in allied fields.
- Produce students who are effective and altruistic participants in community and civic affairs.
- Offer a diverse selection of course options to accommodate varied student interests and occupational pursuits.
- Prepare students to pursue graduate studies and other professional endeavors beyond the undergraduate level.
- Prepare students to remain active with professional organizations and engage in professional development activities.
- Prepare students to assume a variety of leadership roles and serve as productive leaders in their respective areas of expertise.
- Produce students who are fully equipped to compete in a dynamic marketplace.
- Provide a learning environment that includes theoretical and practical experiences among its central foci.
- Prepare students to celebrate diversity, gender equity, as well as accomdoate the special needs populaton.